Friday, July 11, 2008

Travels

One week from now I will be on a plane destined for LAX (from which I have not planned how to get home ... ideas are welcome!). I wrote a list today of the few things I have left to see, the people I have yet to catch up with, and the things I want to purchase. This last week will really be about spending time with close friends and soaking up all of the laughter and love as we can while we're together because laughter and love have a different flavor when their is an ocean between us.

Funny enough while I was having a chat at Olivia's house we were talking about traveling and Olivia said, "California is very close, really." And as I got to think about it I realized how right she is. It's only twelve hours from here to there. While one the plane that seems like an eternity, but that's only because I haven't traveled all that much. LA to Auckland is a straight flight with no lay-overs or airline shifts. It's direct and quick. From a Kiwi perspective the world is available to be explored. NZ itself, while being a destination location, is not a stop-over on the way to anywhere (unless you're on a flight to Australia that stops in Auckland). When someone comes to NZ they are either coming to this country or on their way to Antarctica. But when somebody sets off from this country they could be headed anywhere in the world. And to get to "anywhere" a likely first stop is LA (if headed in that direction around the world). So, we are close, but not close enough to meet up for coffee which can be sad.

Not to worry, I am not having ideas about moving back to NZ. But my heart remains in two countries and as my friend Kerry said, "It can never be reckoned."

Alas, it's not time to say "good-bye" yet! (Nor is it time to say "hello" to Reedley, yet!). I have a lot of exploring left to do, coffee left to drink, hugs left to give, and things left to say.

1 comment:

Renee Harder said...

So cool to be reading about your NZ travels while I´m here in MX! I must say that I´m glad you´ll be back in Cali when we are home for our break, because I´m definately looking forward to coffee with you! Have a great last few days there! Give Pip a hug! -Renee